Consider the following examples, which are all taken from different plays by Shakespeare, and pay attention for the way the negation is expressed!
- I do not sue to stand.
- Or if there were, it not belongs to you.
- O, doe not wish one more.
- Andronicus, staine not thy Tombe with blood.
- Came he not home to night?
- Doe not muse at me, my most worthy friends?
- My lord, I will not.
- Let not light see my black and deep desires.
- Be not a niggard of your speech: how goes't?
- Let not your ears despise my tongue for everů
They obviously had more freedom.
They had less freedom.