Six Steps in a Syntactic Analysis
When you analyze a sentence with the tools of Traditional Grammar, you proceed in the following six steps:
- Segmentation I: Identify clauseboundaries and word boundaries
- Classification I: Determine parts of speech
- Segmentation II: Identify constituents
- Classification II: Determine the syntactic categories for the constituents
- Determine the grammatical functions of the constituents
- Draw the syntactic structure
We will illustrate these six steps with the following example sentence:
Pat will write to my history teacher tomorrow.
The six steps will lead us to the following syntactic analysis for this sentence:
Start with Step 1!
Listen to the podcast about the six steps:
or watch the version with slides.