The Predicative Complement
Test for identifying predicative complements in English
- A predicative complement follows a 'linking verb' (copula verb)
** This [a good idea]pred.comp.
- Pat will always a good friend.
- The committee John [chairman]pred.comp.
- Pat Kim [a genius]pred.comp.
- Passivization: A predicative complement cannot be passivized:
*A genius was considered Kim by Pat. (compare with passivization of the direct object: Kim was considered a genius by Pat.)
Categories and structural position
- The predicative complement can be any major phrase (NP, AP, PP, VP)
- The predicative complement is a sister to V and a daughter to VP.
- If there is a direct object, the predicative complement follows the direct object.
_S_ / \ / AuxP / / \ subj / __VP___ / / / \ / / / pred.comp / / / \ NP Aux V _______NP________ /__\ | | /_________________\ Pat will become president of the US.
Read further on other grammatical functions: